Masala Peas Rice
- 6 oz Basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 oz butter
- 1 small onion - sliced
- 4 tablespoons frozen peas
- 1 green chilli - chopped and seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon white cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- Soak rice in plenty of water for at least ten minutes.
- Steep coconut in 2 tablespoons hot water.
- Cook rice in boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain.
Note: rice should be slightly "gritty" to touch.
- Melt butter in frying pan with oil and gently fry cumin seeds for 1
minute to allow oils to be released into pan.
- Add onion and chilli and fry gently till onion is soft and golden.
- Add turmeric, then peas and stir once.
- Add coconut and cook for approx 5 minutes.
- Mix in rice & garam masala and serve.