Bombay Aloo (Potatoes)
- 1 lb potatoes - cubed
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 4 tablespoons corn oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli masala
- 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- 1 fresh tomato - chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 dessert spoon desiccated coconut (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in pan, then add seeds (mustard, cumin & fenugreek), then
- When onion is soft and golden, add ginger, garlic and powders
(turmeric & chilli masala).
- Immediately add tomatoes and tomato purée and fry for approximately 1
minute, until the tomatoes soften.
- Add coconut and potato, then salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Try to cook in sauce provided, adding water to moisten only if really
- Stir the potatoes with care or they will dissolve.