- 8 oz Basmati rice
- 1 lb boneless chicken pieces - cut into 1" bites
- 2 medium onions - sliced
- 2 green chillies - chopped and seeded
- 4 cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (roasted)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (roasted)
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel (roasted)
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 oz butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron OR yellow food colouring
- Heat butter and oil in pan. Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and onions,
frying gently until lightly golden (not brown). Remove ½ onions for decoration.
- Mix chicken pieces in coriander, cumin, fennel and salt.
- Add chillies, ginger, garlic and chicken to onions and cook for
approx. 10 minutes, until about 1 tablespoon of liquid is left in the pan.
- Soak rice in plenty of water for at least 10 minutes.
- Cook rice with food colouring (if used) for 3 minutes until
"gritty", then strain.
- Add rice to chicken (with saffron steeped in 1 tablespoon hot water,
if used). Mix thoroughly, then garnish with remaining onions. Serve with vegetable curry.