Roti/Paratha (Indian Breads)
- 4 oz plain flour & 4 oz whole wheat (brown) flour
- 8 oz chapatti flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 oz butter or margarine
- 1/4 pint boiling water (more if needed)
- Mix salt and flour in a bowl. Add ½ oil, mixing all along to achieve
a breadcrumb-like texture.
- Add water a little at a time to give a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Knead for at least 10 minutes.
- Melt butter and remaining oil in a container.
- Break dough into yo-yo sized portions, then roll into circles on a
- For Parathas, butter/oil one side, then fold, oil and fold again to
give a cube shape. Re-roll until flat.
- Wipe heavy frying pan or griddle with kitchen roll dipped in
butter/oil. Drop roti/paratha into hot pan, turning and brushing with oil when first side
is cooked. Turn again, cook briefly, then store in foil.