- 1 lb braising steak - cubed
- 1/2 lb potatoes - cubed
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 5 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 bayleaf
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chilli masala
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in pan (if non-stick use 3 tablespoons). Add cinnamon,
cloves, bayleaf and onion, frying until onion is soft and golden.
- Add ginger, garlic, turmeric and chilli masala then immediately add
tomato purée (mixed with a little water).
- Raise heat, then add meat, mixing thoroughly for approx. 2 minutes to
- Add approx. 1 cup water to cover meat, cover with lid and simmer for
approx. 45 minutes, or until meat is cooked (breaks with a spoon).
- Add potatoes (and more water if necessary), cooking for approx. 10
minutes. Add salt.
- Cook for further 5 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked
("fluffy"). Sauce should be thick and gooey.
- Add garam masala, mix and serve.